Too often international development projects fail to move beyond the pilot stage, or to reach anticipated scale. In some cases, scale is not a necessary criterion for success. In others, careful consideration of the necessary inputs can help projects reach their full potential. Principle #3: Design for Scale provides considerations for how to design a project for maximum impact.
Read more community insights>
- Design for scale from the start, and assess and mitigate dependencies that might limit ability to scale.
- Employ a “systems” approach to design, considering implications of design beyond an immediate project.
- Be replicable and customizable in other countries and contexts.
- Demonstrate impact before scaling a solution.
- Analyze all technology choices through the lens of national and regional scale.
- Factor in partnerships from the beginning and start early negotiations.